Last updated: 22nd of April 2016
It is not a good idea to do currency enchange from the airport as you get really low price.
- worldremit.com is similar to transferwise, but cheaper.
- Euro-exchange, Europe centre exchange-ag.de have several offices in Berlin, if the euro amount is above €300, then it is commission free.
- transferwise.com is a good choice if you want to send to a foreign bank. You get the average market rate on the day your transfer is approved. Use this link to sign up and you can send up to 3000 GBP for free on your first transaction https://transferwise.com/u/92b5. This works for many major currencies
- Forex for transactions back to Australia. Cheaper than a bank and better rates, too. The first two transactions were free and then it was about $15 AUS per transaction. Not sure what the Canadian version is like, but you could check it out. http://www.canadianforex.ca/
- Reise Bank, at Hauptbahnhof (for instant exchange)
- Weswap sends you a MasterCard credit card which you load with your own currency, and spend in another. They charge a small fee for the currency exchange itself, but payments and cash withdrawals are free, and there is no charge for the card itself. If you find someone in the country you’re visiting to join and deposit a similar amount, neither of you will be charged anything for the exchange.
- Sparkasse bank in Alexanderplatz changes all foreign currencies.
- If you have an unusual currency, you can go to a place called Ria. They exchange all currencies. A bit expensive but it’s ok as a last resource. There’s one in the Alexanderplatz S bahn station.
- Revolut is an app for your phone which allows you to send a receive currency between UK pounds, Euros and USD currencies to friends and to your own bank account, and also get a physical card to withdraw cash and spend at shops. Promises to be free for the first year and matching interbank rate, though there is a ‘fair use’ monthly limit of 600€ on ATM withdrawals. Several of our members have this card and have found it to be excellent value, although cash transfers to bank account can take up to 5 days.