Free Advice about Berlin

Advice about Berlin

The former resources for a Berlin based Facebook group

A Facebook group I used to be an administrator for was run with a simple democratic approach. A rogue admin tricked us into allowing another admin to join our group, and just after we realised what had occurred, myself and the other elected admin were unexpectedly removed without any consultation with the rest of the administration/moderation team. All group moderators chose to leave within hours of this occurring.

This website is a collection of the resources we had created for the group. I am keeping them here in case they are useful to others. If the data becomes significantly out of date, then I will remove the website.

The original groups website content, used a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License and it's website design used GPL license version 2.0.

Note: You may have been redirected here from the original groups domain name. I do not control that domain. The owner of that domain is also no longer involved with the original Facebook group.

Rote Karte

Last updated: 28th of March 2016

What is it?

“Rote Karte” or “Red Card” is a certification for safety and sanitation. It allows people to work in the kitchen in Germany, without it you get in trouble or don’t get hired. Similar to the “ServSafe” in the US. I believe the price is 20 Euro here.I am unsure if the FOH (front of house) need that card, I’ve only applied as a Chef (cook not boss). 

How to get it

It’s very simple to obtain. You just have to make an appointment at the gesundheits amt in your district, watch a video and fill out a simple test (all the answers are in the video that is shown). If your German isn’t very good then a dictionary will help, but really it’s very easy. It costs 20 euro for the test and the card is then good forever, as long as you don’t loose it…which I have…It’s really just a test to see whether you understand cross-contamination. They let you watch a vedio so that you know these things. You should get it stamped within three months of your Rote Karte approval though or the other opinion is….March 2016,  I did it 2 weeks ago. I’m front of house and most businesses will need you to do it if you have any contact with food. You need a letter from your employer, passport and anmeldung. If you don’t speak German, take someone who does, though you could easily get away without understanding a word if you can confidently pretend. Go to the office just before they open and take a number. You’ll be called in, they’ll take your ID details and check your employer’s letter and then you wait till they have a group of people registered and then you all watch a video on food hygiene in German. At the end of the video, an official talks for a bit and then calls up your number, you go up and sign your surname and they give you your red card which you then need to have stamped and signed by your employer. It costs 20euro. No test.

Where to do it?


Log in to give input